The Legacy Fund was conceived in the late 1990s by and between individuals in Columbus' LGBT community whose shared vision was to develop a “financial support system” for the LGBT community in central Ohio. With the help of The Columbus Foundation, The Legacy Fund began a program of annual financial grants to deserving charitable entities that provide needed programming in what is now the LGBTQIA community. Later, The Legacy Fund received a bequest enabling it to establish scholarships for LGBTQIA high school students heading to college. The Legacy Fund has grown over the nearly past 20 years in size, strength, and capacity and proudly serves central Ohio's LGBTQIA community.
The Legacy Fund:
- Makes grants to help new and existing organizations become financially sustainable and achieve programmatic excellence
- Provides technical support to develop LGBTQIA community leadership and to strengthen community institutions
- Works to ensure through permanent, planned gifts, that the LGBTQIA community can face any challenges that confront it—now and for generations to come
- Encourages collaboration among agencies serving the LGBTQIA community
- Promotes enrichment of the cultural life and heritage of the LGBTQIA community of central Ohio
RECENT GRANT RECIPIENTS
Serve and support LGBTQIA+ youth and young adults.
Empower women to achieve economic independence by providing the career development tools, professional attire, and a network of support to help women thrive in work and in life.
Eliminate violence perpetrated based on sexual orientation or gender identify, domestic violence, and sexual assault through prevention, education, advocacy, and survivor service, with and for the Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender communities.
Increase awareness and acceptance of LGBTQ+ persons through a safe, welcoming chorus of volunteer singers open to ALL persons regardless of age, gender identity, race, or economic status.
- Jennifer Brunner Chair
- Ed Chin Treasurer
- Jack Miner Secretary
- Karen Cookston Founding Member
- Sue White Founding Member
- Sandy Anderson
- John Barber
- Michelle Berry
- Sara Colton
- Jen House
- Laura MacDonald
- Jeffrey Mackey
- Gregg McConnell
- Lana Moore
- Molly O'Shaughnessy
- Densil Porteous
- Marc Spindelman