Philanthropic planning is an important element of overall legal and financial planning. By discussing charitable goals with your clients, you can help them increase their impact, decrease tax liability, and leave a lasting legacy. Along the way, you deepen your relationship with them as you give them a space to talk about their values and priorities.
Here are some of our top resources for you and your clients:
- Philanthropic Planning – We can help you plan and execute a strategy to meet clients’ philanthropic and financial goals by taking full advantage of charitable giving vehicles and techniques.
- Donor Advised Funds (DAFs) – Simple and effective, DAFs are our most popular giving vehicle for donors who value flexibility. Setting up a DAF is easy—and there are many benefits of a DAF.
- Legacy Planning – We can work with you and your clients to help them prepare to make a lasting, future gift to support the causes that are important to them.
- Community Knowledge – The Foundation supports your clients’ charitable efforts with personalized service and insight into community needs and organizations. We can work directly with you and your clients or provide curated lists of vetted community investment opportunities.
The Columbus Foundation connects professional advisors with educational and networking opportunities, including:
- Chartered Advisor in Philanthropy® (CAP®) – CAP® is a three-course, master’s-level credential offered by The American College of Financial Services. Ideal for financial advisors, trust officers, attorneys, accountants, life insurance agents, and nonprofit development professionals, the CAP® designation provides the knowledge and tools necessary to help your clients articulate and advance their highest aspirations for self, family, and society. Each year, the Foundation partners with The American College and past CAP® graduates to facilitate a study group for professionals who are interested in earning the CAP® designation. If you are interested in learning more, please contact Lisa Jolley at email@example.com or 614/545-3244.
- Professional Council – Composed of attorneys, accountants, and financial advisors, Professional Council members share our commitment to investing in the community and are dedicated to public service and education about charitable giving. Meetings are held exclusively for members of the council three times per year and provide a forum to discuss new initiatives at the Foundation and share information on charitable gift and estate planning strategies.
- Other Educational Opportunities – The Foundation can also connect you with other valuable continued education opportunities. For example: Advocating Opportunity (AO) is offering 20 hours of free Continuing Legal Education on the topic of racial equity and the law. Courses were conducted live throughout the fall, but can be accessed on demand until January 1, 2022. Participants must complete all 20 hours of training and submit verification codes in order to receive CLE credit. See the AO website for additional details.
As you work with clients on tax, legal, and financial strategies, please know that the Foundation is always available to serve you and your clients. Don't hesitate to contact us if you’re interested in learning more about our services and how we can assist.
About the Author
LISA M. JOLLEY, JD, CAP®, AEP®
In her role as The Columbus Foundation’s Senior Director for Donor Services, Lisa Jolley has been serving donors and professional advisors for nearly 22 years.
She has a passion for helping donors and their families execute meaningful philanthropic plans. She works very closely with families to develop lasting philanthropic plans for many generations to come. Lisa also manages activities relating to the Foundation’s Professional Council.
One of Lisa’s favorite parts of her job is getting to know donors and what motivates their philanthropic goals. She enjoys working with donors and their extended families in creating meaningful memories while diving deeper into what values they hold and how to match these with their charitable interests.
Lisa enjoys playing tennis and spending time with her daughter. She also loves to explore all that Ohio has to offer from its incredible parks and trails to the scrumptious locally-owned restaurants.
To reach Lisa, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Columbus Foundation serves nearly 3,000 individuals, families, and businesses that have created unique funds and planned gifts to make a difference in the lives of others through the most effective philanthropy possible. The Columbus Foundation is Your Trusted Philanthropic Advisor® and is one of the top ten largest community foundations in the country.