In 2014, a Columbus Foundation donor approached the Foundation with an idea—to establish a fund that provides one-time grants to help lift up individuals and families who experience an unexpected setback.
The Gifts of Kindness Fund was established in September 2014, with a generous gift of $500,000 from that compassionate donor. The goal is not only to provide financial support, but to illustrate how acts of kindness throughout our community make a difference—and inspire others to do the same.
“We were inspired to create the Gifts of Kindness Fund for two reasons: to provide meaningful, one-time, life-changing gifts to help lift people up during a setback, and to motivate others to participate in acts of kindness as well.”
—Gifts of Kindness Founding Donor
Gifts of Kindness Grant Examples:
A 54-year-old woman raising her two grandsons was unable to work while undergoing treatment for cancer. Assistance from the Gifts of Kindness Fund enabled them to maintain their housing until she was able to return to work.
A pregnant single mom on unpaid maternity leave with a six-year-old son was given rental assistance through Gifts of Kindness because she had to use her savings to contest a utility account that was fraudulently opened in her name.
A man with cancer lost his employment during treatment. After he and his significant other depleted their savings, they were finding it difficult to make ends meet. He went through loan modification for his mortgage to decrease his monthly expenses and applied for Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI). A Gift of Kindness grant helped fill his income gap until he started receiving SSDI.
Gifts of Kindness Nonprofit Partners as of 10/02/20
- Broad Street Presbyterian Church—COMPASS
- Catholic Social Services
- Center for Family Safety and Healing
- Center for Healthy Families, Inc.
- Central Community House of Columbus, Inc.
- Clintonville-Beechwold Community Resources Center
- Community Development for All People
- Down Syndrome Association of Central Ohio
- Franklin County Family Recovery Court
- Freedom a la Cart
- Gladden Community House
- Goodwill Columbus
- The Homeless Families Foundation
- Huckleberry House, Inc.
- IMPACT Community Action
- Jewish Family Services
- LifeCare Alliance
- Lutheran Social Services of Central Ohio
- Maryhaven, Inc.
- Military Veterans Resource Center
- New Directions Career Center
- Physicians CareConnection
- Riverview International Center
- Salvation Army (Central Ohio)
- Star House
- University District Organization in partnership with OSU Extension
- Volunteers of America Ohio and Indiana
- YMCA of Central Ohio
- YWCA Columbus