I recently met with an individual on the brink of retirement who expressed interest in becoming more involved in her community and with nonprofit organizations. Finding more leisure time to pursue her interests and hobbies, which had been placed on hold due to her hectic career and demanding schedule, she is now eager to follow some of her non-work related passions. As she increases her charitable giving and community work, she wants to find the best way to become organized and strategic in how she gives back her time and resources.
Whether you are in a similar situation, and are personally thinking about giving back, or you work with clients who are interested in doing so, it can be difficult to know where to start.
Donor Advised Funds (DAFs) are enormously popular giving vehicles—known for their ease of use and flexibility in administration. DAFs allow individuals to take an active role in their philanthropic efforts, and are the best option for people who value freedom, choice, and a hands-on approach to giving. Plus they are ideal for those wanting to give to multiple organizations and programs.
Consider a Donor Advised Fund if you (or your clients):
- Demand simplicity and ease.
- Own highly appreciated assets that you want to direct to charity.
- Want to manage all of your giving from one convenient account.
- Seek to be actively engaged in your philanthropy, with the option to hear and learn from like-minded individuals.
- Wish to give to multiple organizations and programs throughout the year—including nonprofits, public schools, and religious institutions.
- Want to involve your children or family in your charitable giving.
- Are interested in learning more about community needs and challenges, giving opportunities, and insights both here in the central Ohio region—and nationally and globally.
A Donor Advised Fund is a personalized fund that makes it easy for you to support the issues and organizations you care about in central Ohio or anywhere across the country. You can contribute cash, stock, or other assets to create a named fund, qualify for an immediate income tax deduction, and when it’s convenient for you, choose the charities you want to support. We recommend consulting your professional advisors about your unique individual charitable situation.
The Columbus Foundation offers Donor Advised Funds for individuals at every stage of their charitable giving journey. Whether you’re just getting started in philanthropy or are looking to expand your giving, the Foundation can help you follow your passions and meet your charitable goals.
As always, we are here to help your giving remain effective and easy. Learn more about Donor Advised Funds at The Columbus Foundation, and contact us if you’re ready to discuss how the Foundation can assist you in your charitable giving.
About The Columbus Foundation
The Columbus Foundation serves nearly 3,000 individuals, families, and businesses that have created unique funds and planned gifts to make a difference in the lives of others through the most effective philanthropy possible. The Columbus Foundation is Your Trusted Philanthropic Advisor® and is one of the top ten largest community foundations in the country.