With more than 30 years of experience working with Supporting Foundations, we provide individual attention and offer a range of management services to allow you to focus on your grantmaking.
Expertise in foundation management and community knowledge.
Customized research and grants oversight to make informed grantmaking easy.
Flexible Investment Options.
Selection of investment agent(s) controlled by each foundation.
Questions about Supporting Foundations? Get in touch.
“Your incredible generosity, amplified by our management expertise, makes Supporting Foundations immensely powerful yet simple.”
Borror Family Foundation
The Borror family has been in the Real Estate Business in central Ohio, developing neighborhoods, building homes, and managing communities, for more than 60 years. During that time, the Borrors have supported many nonprofit organizations in Columbus. The family foundation, established in 2004, helps to strengthen that mission.
The Borror Family Foundation fosters targeted and strategic corporate giving, focusing on organizations whose efforts and goals are far reaching in numbers, and whose ethics and values mirror those of the Borror family. Of particular interest are education and youth development programs, healthcare services that promote wellness through prevention and safety, social service programs that help people in transition become self-sufficient, and civic organizations that support emerging communities in which Borror builds and manages homes for families.
Community involvement starts at the top. Doug Borror, CEO of Borror, is active in the community, just as his father, Don Borror, was during his lifetime. Borror family members have been personally involved with many charitable organizations in greater Columbus for years including The Ohio State University, The James Cancer Hospital, The American Heart Association, the Short North Foundation, the Short North Alliance, Columbus Parks and Recreation Department, Riverfront Commons, Recreation Unlimited, the Wellington School, and Goodwill Industries, just to name a few.
The commitment to giving back to the community has spread throughout the entire Borror organization—not only in the form of charitable giving—but also in the gift of time; team members serve on boards, volunteer, and raise money for a wide variety of causes.
All grants from the Foundation are board directed in support of the Borror Family’s targeted areas of interest.
Douglas G. Borror, chairman; John S. Sokol, president and treasurer; David P. Blom; Stephen P. Close; and Danielle Borror Sugarman.
Central Benefits Health Care Foundation
The Central Benefits Health Care Foundation was established by Central Benefits Mutual Insurance Company, a company that held the philosophy of “an investment in the community is an investment in the future”. The Foundation was established in 1997 to make an impact on preventative health care for indigent children and adults; the Trustees have taken a step further by focusing grantmaking for the preventative health care needs of children, prenatal through age six.
Since its inception, the Foundation has approved grants totaling more than $6 million. The Foundation uses a request for proposal process to identify grant opportunities in its targeted interest areas.
Teresa C. Long, M.D., M.P.H., chairman; Benjamin Marrison, vice chairman; Joseph H. Hoffman, president; and Autumn R. Glover.
Columbus Youth Foundation
The Columbus Youth Foundation makes a difference in the lives of youth from economically disadvantaged neighborhoods of Columbus by providing healthy, positive opportunities to learn life lessons through recreation and sports.
The Columbus Youth Foundation’s link to sports and to the disadvantaged youth of urban Columbus began upon its creation in 1955. A group of distinguished local businessmen created the Foundation that year to hold title both to the Columbus Jets, a professional minor-league baseball team, and the team’s Franklinton stadium. Because the Foundation returned all profits to the community through grants to organizations that served the sick, underprivileged, and disabled youth of Columbus, it ensured strong local support for the team.
After the Columbus Jets dissolved and their stadium was sold, the Foundation’s Trustees decided that instead of closing the Foundation, its service to the youth of Franklinton and urban Columbus should continue as long as possible. The Trustees chose to join The Columbus Foundation in 1976 as the first Supporting Foundation. This relationship maintained Columbus Youth Foundation’s independence, while the Trustees were able to access the services and experienced staff of The Columbus Foundation.
Today, as it has since 1955, the Foundation focuses on Columbus’ young people through the grants made each year to organizations offering inner-city youth opportunities for sports and recreation.
Columbus Youth Foundation Best All-Around Student Awards
Since 1985, the Columbus Youth Foundation has sponsored the CYF Best All-Around Student Awards. These annual awards celebrate a male and female student from each middle and high school in the Columbus City Schools for their outstanding citizenship and achievements.
The awards event takes place each year at Huntington Park, home of the Columbus Clippers, and begins with a picnic for the students and their families, followed by recognition of their achievement in an on-field ceremony.
Since its inception, the Foundation has approved grants totaling over $4 million. The Foundation uses an online competitive application process with one deadline per year.
Catherine M. Lyttle, chairman; Archie M. Griffin, vice chairman; John P. Kadlic; John Lowe; and Leslie C. Meyers-Joseph, MD, FAAP.
William H. Davis, Dorothy M. Davis and William C. Davis Foundation
William C. (Bill) Davis provided funds in his will to be used for charitable purposes at the discretion of his stepmother, Dorothy M. Davis. She created the William H. Davis, Dorothy M. Davis and William C. Davis Foundation in 1993.
William H. Davis was a prominent businessman who built his fortune through real estate development and investments. He founded Davis & Son, Inc., which develops single-family homes, shopping centers, and apartment buildings in central Ohio. Mr. Davis died in 1984. His son, William C. (Bill) Davis, continued the company and served as chairman of the board until his death in 1991. Bill Davis laid the groundwork for the family’s foundation when he established a donor advised fund at The Columbus Foundation in 1988. Former owner and chairman of Davis Enterprises, Dorothy M. Davis was active in the central Ohio and Fort Lauderdale, Florida communities. She established the Dorothy M. Davis Chair in Cancer Research at The Arthur G. James Cancer Hospital and Richard J. Solove Research Institute, and the William H. Davis Chair in the American Free Enterprise System at The Ohio State University. Mrs. Davis served on the board of trustees of the Capital Area Humane Society and The Ohio State University Foundation. She was a supporter of the Royal Dames of Cancer Research and Nova University in Fort Lauderdale. Mrs. Davis was chairman and president of the Davis Foundation until her death in 1996.
The Davis family’s long history of philanthropy serves as a model for the central Ohio community. They had shared interests in many organizations, including The Ohio State University, Pontifical College Josephinum, St. Charles Preparatory School, the Columbus Zoo, Boy Scouts of America, and the southend Kiwanis.
All grants from the Davis Foundation are board directed.
Interested in more information about the William H. Davis, Dorothy M. Davis and William C. Davis Foundation? Please contact Chris Donovan at email@example.com or Stacey Morris at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Paul G. Duke Foundation
The Paul G. Duke Foundation focuses on the Miami County area. Please visit the Duke Foundation’s website for more information about its history, signature initiatives and the impact of four decades of philanthropic investment in the Miami County region.
The Duke Foundation’s mission is to be a catalyst to enhance the quality of life in the Miami County area.
The Paul G. Duke Foundation accepts grant applications on a rolling basis. Click here for more information about the Duke Foundation's grantmaking and to access the Duke Foundation's application.
Patricia Duke Robinson, president emeritus; Rayce Robinson, MBA, president; Alandra B. Buerger; Linda A. Daniel, past president and community liaison; Bart E. Denlinger; William J. McGraw, III, Esq., vice president; Deborah Miller, secretary/treasurer; and Wade H. Westfall, community liaison.
Interested in more information about the Paul G. Duke Foundation? Email DukeFoundation@columbusfoundation.org or call 937/339-DUKE (3853).
Hinson Family Trust
The purpose of the Hinson Family Trust is to provide financial support for organizations whose mission is to improve the quality of life and opportunity for men, women and children in the community. The foundation will seek to support organizations that demonstrate measurable results and are financially sound.
The Hinson Family Trust will support those organizations that provide solutions for social problems and education/training to enable young people, men and women to be self-supporting, productive members of society.
Charlie Hinson spent 30 years of his professional life guiding the growth of Limited Brands from eleven storefronts to over 5,000 by overseeing the construction and interior design. At home, Charlie and his wife, Charleen, spent these same years raising their six children and building their life in Columbus. Charlie, Charleen, and their children created the Hinson Family Trust in 2001 to assist with their own charitable contributions and involve the Hinson grandchildren in the process of giving back to the community. Charlie shared this philanthropic experience with his family until his death in 2004; since then his family has acknowledged Charlie’s memory and community connections with several grants in his honor as well as increasing activities for Charlie’s grandchildren to begin their own understanding of what it means to give back to the community.
All grants from the Hinson Family Trust are board directed.
Alan D. Hinson, chair; Lisa Purvis Hinson, vice chair; C. Charleen Hinson, secretary; Lori Hinson Rech, treasurer; Matt Habash; Janet E. Jackson; Linda S. Kass; Patrick Tiberi; and Abigail Wexner. Carol Hinson Wass is an honorary trustee.
Ingram-White Castle Foundation
The Foundation’s mission is to provide nourishment to those throughout central Ohio who hunger for knowledge, independence, and self-sufficiency. Our emphasis is on efforts that empower young people with the desire for self-improvement, and full participation in a free society.
As the Foundation seeks to feed hunger, hopes, and dreams, it holds the following values:
- We believe the nourishment we provide must be physical, educational, emotional, and spiritual.
- We believe in the liberating power of knowledge that transforms lives and enables young people the opportunity to realize their full potential.
- We embrace the notion that all benefit when we lend a helping hand to those who currently cannot help themselves.
- We invest with stewardship, seeking significant impact for those who yearn for a better life.
The Edgar W. Ingram Foundation, created in 1949 by E.W. “Billy” Ingram, founder of White Castle System, Inc., became a Supporting Foundation of The Columbus Foundation in 1981. It was renamed the Ingram-White Castle Foundation in 1987.
The Ingram family has continued to operate the foundation based on the principles set forth by Billy Ingram, which include treating people fairly, investing in the future of others, and sharing success with the community. In 1999, in honor of the foundation’s 50th anniversary, Mary and E.W. Ingram, Jr. made an $11 million gift, providing additional resources for grantmaking.
Ingram-White Castle Team Member Scholarships
The Ingram-White Castle Foundation established its scholarship in 1989 to honor founder Billy Ingram’s core belief in the importance of investment in learning and education. This scholarship is for full-time or part-time undergraduate or graduate study, and can help defray educational expenses at any accredited public or independent college or university in the United States of America, in accordance with each school’s policies and procedures. The link to the online scholarship application is available beginning in January for an April 1 annual deadline.
Recipients of Ingram-White Castle Team Member Scholarships may find information on requesting payment of their scholarships here.
Education has always been a mainstay of the Ingram-White Castle Foundation’s grantmaking. Through the years, the Foundation has awarded more than $39 million in grants to support programs that serve disadvantaged students and help them achieve academic success and in scholarship support for Team Members and their dependents. The Foundation uses a competitive grant application process with two deadlines per year.
Isabelle Ridgway Foundation
Vision and Mission Statement
The vision of the Isabelle Ridgway Foundation is a world where we treat the aging as our elders. Its mission is to improve the quality of life and the systems that impact aging African Americans.
The Isabelle Ridgway Foundation was established in 2017 to honor the legacy of Isabelle Ridgway and to sustain it in the future.
Beginning in 1912, Isabelle Ridgway quietly fought to bring dignity and comfort to elderly, impoverished, and disenfranchised African Americans in her community. With support of a good friend and her faith—but not much else—she offered herself in service. She founded the Old Folks Home of Franklin County where residents received stability, safety, and a sense of belonging. Over the next hundred years, this care center aided countless seniors and their families in central Ohio.
The work started in 1912 is just as necessary today. The life expectancy for African American seniors has increased, but for many, their quality of life has not. A disproportionately high number live in poverty without adequate resources. Lacking proper healthcare, they also suffer higher rates of disease and chronic illness.
To address these issues, the Foundation will expand upon Isabelle Ridgway’s legacy of care by supporting a strategic and targeted grantmaking program in addition to building coalitions and sponsoring research to better serve specific needs of our community’s elders.
Mark Hatcher, Esq., chairperson; Melinda D. Carter, J.D.; Angela C. Dawson, LISW, ACSW; Jordan A. Miller, Jr.; Sandra Moody Gresham; Karen J. Morrison, J.D., M.S.; Patricia B. Mullins; Keith Stevens; and Thomas L. Weaver. Honorary directors are Christopher G. Brown, M.D.; James L. Ervin, Jr., Esq., past chairperson; and Timothy Grant, CPA, treasurer.
Interested in more information about the Isabelle Ridgway Foundation? Contact by email or at 614/251-4000.
Kidd Family Foundation
The Kidd Family Foundation fosters a sense of community and philanthropy specifically targeting Jackson County, Ohio and its contiguous counties. The foundation’s goals are to support the area in perpetuity by providing resources for the purpose of protecting and enriching the lives of those less fortunate in our community with particular emphasis on education.
Since 1999, The Kidd Family Foundation has been committed to improving the quality of life in Jackson County and southeastern Ohio. The Foundation is focused on supporting projects that address the greatest needs in Jackson County. Historically focused on education, social services, and culture, the Foundation is also addressing the drug abuse crisis in the county.
Jack and Jane Kidd lived, worked, and raised their family in Jackson County for more than 30 years. Mr. Kidd was president and CEO of Oak Hill Financial in Jackson, and a former president of the board of the University of Rio Grande; Mrs. Kidd served as an active volunteer with the YMCA and the Jackson County Health Department. Though they no longer reside in Jackson County, they remain committed to the community. Also participating in the work of the Foundation are the Kidds’ three adult children. The Kidd family’s strong commitment to education and the Jackson community motivated their financial support for and leadership role in the community’s campaign to build new schools for the city of Jackson.
All grants from the Kidd Family Foundation are board directed (applicants must be invited to submit a proposal). Grant recipients are expected to submit reports online by the date noted in formal grant correspondence.
John D. Kidd, president; Jane E. Kidd, vice president; Lawrence J. Kidd, treasurer; Nea S. Henry; Ryan Smith; and H. Grant Stephenson, Esq. Honorary trustees are Cheryl Kidd, Cynthia Kidd, Douglas E. Kidd, assistant secretary; and Margaret L. Kidd, secretary.
Moritz Family Foundation
The Moritz Family Foundation serves families and children by providing grants to organizations whose programs reduce poverty and improve education.
The Moritz Family Foundation was established by Lou Ann Moritz (now Ransom) in 2004 to continue the charitable legacy of her late husband, Michael E. Moritz. Mr. Moritz’s successful career as a partner in the Baker & Hostetler law firm allowed him the ability to support The Ohio State University and future generations of lawyers and MBA students through significant scholarship programs. Today, The Ohio State University’s College of Law is known as the Moritz College of Law, named in honor of the immense generosity of Michael Moritz, who received a scholarship more than 45 years ago that allowed him to pursue his legal education.
Lou Ann Moritz Ransom is a community volunteer who demonstrates the same care and concern for future generations as a board member of The Homeless Families Foundation, The Ohio State University Foundation, and The Michael E. Moritz College of Law National Council.
The Moritz family began their relationship with The Columbus Foundation in 1993 through the opening of a donor advised fund. The Moritz Family Foundation was formed to expand on this effort and also allow future generations, including four adult children and many grandchildren, to positively impact their communities and the world with their generosity. The Moritz Family Foundation has traditionally focused its grantmaking on educational, housing, and family-related issues.
All grants from the Moritz Family Foundation are board directed (applicants must be invited to submit a proposal). Grant recipients are expected to submit reports online by the date noted in formal grant correspondence. If a grantee is invited to apply for a new grant from the Moritz Family Foundation before a previous grant’s final report deadline, they will be expected either to submit an interim report if the previous grant has not been expended in full, or to submit their final report early.
Lou Ann Ransom, chairperson; Ann Airey, president; Molly Tyger, assistant secretary; Ned Clark; Sharon Komlofske; Barbara C. Trueman; and Michael Zieg. Honorary trustees are Catharine M. Presper, secretary; and Jeffrey C. Moritz, treasurer.
The Shackelford Family Foundation
The Shackelford Family Foundation was established by Thekla R. (Teckie) Shackelford in 1996 to continue the charitable legacy of her parents, Everett and Gay Reese. Everett Reese was active in the central Ohio banking industry for more than 70 years. Among his charitable interests were The Ohio State University Presidents Club, which he founded in 1963; his church; and Piney Woods, a small boarding school for African Americans in Mississippi. Mr. Reese died in 1995 at the age of 97. The Shackelford Family Foundation focuses its grantmaking on educational issues.
All grants from the Shackelford Foundation are board directed.
Alison S. Monaghan, chairperson; Amy Louis, vice chairperson and secretary; Lee Shackelford, vice chairperson and treasurer; Don M. Casto, III; M. Jameson Crane; Thomas E. Hoaglin; and Stephen S. Wittmann. Thekla R. Shackelford and Donald B. Shackelford are honorary trustees.
Siemer Family Foundation
The purpose of the Siemer Family Foundation is to provide funding for those institutions and organizations whose purpose is to affect continuing and long-term benefits for societal, educational, and cultural needs of the community.
The foundation’s goal is to support those organizations which provide solutions for social problems, education and/or training to enable young people to be self-supporting, and support for civic and cultural organizations which enhance the quality of life in this or other communities.
Al and Barb Siemer own Desco Corporation, a holding corporation for several manufacturing companies in the United States and Europe. Desco also includes Desco Capital Partners, which makes venture capital investments. A graduate of Muskingum College, Mrs. Siemer began her career as a high school English teacher. She is an active board member with I KNOW I CAN and the Columbus Museum of Art. Mr. Siemer is a graduate of John Carroll University. He also holds a bachelor’s degree in foreign trade from the University of Arizona (Thunderbird) and a juris doctor degree from Cleveland Marshall Law School. The Siemers are the parents of Elizabeth and David, who are both graduates of Lehigh University. The Siemer Family Foundation was established in 1997 and has focused the majority of its grantmaking in the area of education and reducing student mobility through homelessness prevention.
In 2003, the Siemers established an initiative that focused on reducing student mobility, which directly affects the ability of schools to deliver quality education. The program offers counseling and financial support to families in transition and need. In 2011, the Siemers launched the Siemer Institute to coordinate national implementation of their initiative. Programs have already been established in more than 50 cities across the nation.
Since its inception, the foundation has approved grants totaling more than $65 million. The foundation's grant application process has one deadline per year.
Led by Barbara J. Siemer, chairperson; and Elizabeth M. Siemer, Esq., president and vice chairperson.
As a school teacher, Barbara Siemer saw how harmful homelessness and school instability were to students and classrooms. These experiences inspired Al and Barbara Siemer to develop a program in 2003 with the United Way of Sarasota and Jewish Family and Children's Services of the Suncoast to address this issue.
Based on the succcess of this original work, the Siemer Institute was launched in 2011 to take this program across the nation with the intention of preventing family homelessness and reducing school instability among low-income families. Since 2011, the Siemer Institute has developed partnerships in 64 communities across the country.
The Siemer Institute leads this work nationally from Columbus, Ohio, and United Way affiliates across the country oversee our programs locally. The network actively participates in a collective impact model while sharing best practices that align successes with the intent of creating national change. Siemer Institute partners with United Way because we believe it is the lead organization in each community that brings meaningful change by identifying community needs and assembling resources and partners to address those needs.
To invest in the potential of children through family stability.
Please visit the Siemer Institute’s website for more information about the programs, activities, and national impact.
Led by Barbara J. Siemer, chairperson; and Elizabeth M. Siemer, Esq., president and vice chairperson.
Interested in more information about the Siemer Institute? Contact staff by email.
The Walter Foundation
The Walter Foundation’s mission is to leverage giving in order to uplift people, strengthen nonprofit organizations, and inspire others to give.
Bob and Peggy Walter wholeheartedly believe in the power of lifting up people in need and the nonprofit organizations that serve them. Throughout their lives, they each had personal experiences that shaped this deep commitment to helping others. The Walters view philanthropy as a personal responsibility and find joy in sharing their gifts in order to create tangible and sustained positive impact throughout the community.
As founder and retired CEO of Cardinal Health, a global, integrated healthcare services and products company, Bob had a passion for improving patient lives and a reputation for giving back to the community. Peggy worked on behalf of children’s and arts initiatives in several professional and volunteer roles throughout her life. Bob’s entrepreneurialism and Peggy’s hands-on volunteerism have shaped their commitment to active philanthropy.
The Walters’ ability to give comes from the many blessings they have received in life. Great joy comes from sharing these blessings with others.
Learn more about The Walter Foundation here.
The Walter Foundation prioritizes its philanthropy around three core areas of giving:
Health & Well-being—helping to meet basic needs and increase access to health care for the most vulnerable people in the community.
Education—providing avenues to education to help people of all ages access a range of educational opportunities from pre-Kindergarten through college, and technical or trade school, along with learning opportunities outside the classroom.
Quality of Life—investing in programs and services to help children and adults overcome socioeconomic, physical, emotional, and geographic barriers so they may experience a breadth of life-building opportunities.
Woven throughout these areas of giving is an overarching commitment to helping children, uplifting the vulnerable, advancing the Catholic faith, and supporting other faith-based initiatives that help people reach their full potential, live healthy and productive lives, and spread kindness to others.
In addition to a project or program consistent with one or more of the categories above, grant requests must meet the following criteria:
Geographic Location—The Walter Foundation prioritizes its philanthropy in central Ohio and Boston, MA.
Transformational Gifts—A majority of annual giving will be allocated to support gifts deemed “transformational.” Transformational gifts are generally considered to be single or multi-year requests that result in measurable, positive change for the grantee.
Gift Type—The Walter Foundation will prioritize gifts to support capital, programming, scholarships, campaign matches, and seed grants.
Grant applications are accepted on a quarterly basis upon invitation to apply. If you have a project or program that may fit The Walter Foundation’s grantmaking criteria, please email a brief summary (maximum one paragraph) to Nikki Scarpitti, Executive Director, at WalterFoundation@columbusfoundation.org.
All grantees must submit an online Final Report. Final reports are generally due 30 days following the project grant period; the report deadline is noted in the grant agreement. Multi-year grants will require an annual report. Additional reporting requirements may be outlined in a grant agreement.
The Robert F. Wolfe and Edgar T. Wolfe Foundation
The Robert F. Wolfe and Edgar T. Wolfe Foundation was created in 1989 by John W. Wolfe to honor the memory of his grandfather and father, Robert F. Wolfe and Edgar T. Wolfe.
Robert F. Wolfe arrived in Columbus in 1888 and found work as a shoemaker, eventually beginning the successful Wolfe Brothers Shoe Company. In 1903, he bought The Ohio State Journal with his brother, Harry P. Wolfe. In 1905, they acquired The Columbus Dispatch. Robert F. Wolfe was publisher of the Journal and the Dispatch until his death in 1927. Harry continued in the publishing and banking business until he died in 1946.
Robert’s son, Edgar T. Wolfe, Sr., began working for the Journal in 1919 as an advertising solicitor. He later became co-publisher of both the Journal and the Dispatch. Edgar Wolfe also was a banker and civic leader who helped develop air travel at Port Columbus, promoted civic improvements, and supported the growth of hospitals. He died in 1957 at the age of 63.
John W. Wolfe, the son of Edgar T. Wolfe, began his career with Ohio National Bank in 1948. He became vice president and director of BancOhio Corporation in 1957. In 1975, he became chairman of the Dispatch Printing Company, parent organization of The Columbus Dispatch. He was appointed to the Governing Committee of The Columbus Foundation in 1984 and served as a member for nine years, including service as vice chairman. Mr. Wolfe provided leadership for decades in the health field in central Ohio, leading the community in the establishment of The Arthur G. James Cancer Hospital and Richard J. Solove Research Institute, and the Health Coalition of Central Ohio. John W. Wolfe, who died in 1994, included his family’s foundation in his estate.
All grants from the Wolfe Foundation are board directed.
In 1995, the Wolfe Foundation established four permanent endowment funds, which provide support to the following organizations:
- Nationwide Children’s Hospital Foundation: Annual grants fund the John W. Wolfe Grants for Pediatric Research, in response to proposals submitted by the Hospital.
- COSI Columbus: Annual grants, in the memory of John W. Wolfe, are designated for COSI’s operating expenses.
- The McConnell Heart Health Center: Annual grants supporting community health and wellness initiatives.
- The Columbus Foundation: Annual grants are made for the Foundation’s operations, and enable it to encourage philanthropy and address important community issues.
Ann I. Wolfe, chair; Sara Wolfe Perrini, vice chair and secretary; Bruce A. Soll, treasurer; Pamela T. Farber; and Jeff Kaplan. Rita J. Wolfe and Katherine Wolfe Lloyd are Wolfe associate trustees.
Interested in more information about the Robert F. Wolfe and Edgar T. Wolfe Foundation? Please contact Chris Donovan at email@example.com or Stacey Morris at firstname.lastname@example.org.